domingo, 15 de marzo de 2015

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Title: All The Bright Places

Author: Jennifer Niven
Published: January 5th, 2015 by Knopf.
Theodore is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him. Violet lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death. When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

My Musings 

So I started this book and I found myself constantly underlining sentences here and there because I agreed with sooo many of the things said by the characters of the book, especially from Finch. He's witty, funny and just SO passionate. He didn't want to let the days pass him by, he wanted to live every day at the very fullest. At first I was kind of skeptical about him because he'd always have a smartass comeback, but then as I found out more about him I liked him more and enjoyed reading his parts the most.For example, look at these gems:






Absolutely genius, Finch. Let me kiss you. And he wasn't afraid to express his feelings to Violet, which kind of reminds me of Augustus Waters. Sometimes you'd think Finch was just flirting with Violet and he was, but there was also honesty there, which was so refreshing and made me love him more. Here's another example: 




Since I'm talking about Finch I'd like to mention his friend Brenda. What a cool character she is! She's there for Finch and what I liked the most about her is that she is just a no bullshit kind of person. And then in the last part she has in the book, (if you read the book then you know I CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT CAUSE SPOILERS, OKAY!?) 

There were certain parts of the story where I wanted to hug Finch and never let him go, tell him I'd always be there for him no matter what and to help him SOMEHOW. But sometimes I think maybe he didn't want any help, because he kept pretending things were just fine when he was confronted about the situation. In my opinion, his mother is the worst one in the fictional world. And his father too. 

I felt like I could relate to Violet a lot of the time. And I haven't even gone through half of her experiences in life. Since her sister had died she was kinda lost and it wasn't until she started hanging out with Finch that she felt like trying again, -even driving was a big deal for her- and Finch motivated her so much omg I'M FEELING EMOTIONAL ALL OVER AGAIN. 




I think her development of character was pretty great, because there is so much happening to her, so much tragedy but she still gets up everyday and wanders and the final paragraph is so fucking beautiful. What a woman you are, 'Violet Remarkey-able'.

It's safe to say I absoutely loved this book. Maybe it's because I am a sucker for angst. I love hurting and crying and sobbing...because of a book, of course. You can't stop yourself from getting involved with the story, with the characters, with their pain, with Finch's reluctance to having labels put on him, with Violet's fear of never figuring out what she's supposed to do and with her loss. That was what hurt the most. I gave this book 5 stars and I recommend this to all of you, because I think we need to talk about the main subject this book discusses out there. It's necessary to be aware, so that we can understand. Congratulations Jennifer, what a beautiful book. 

Are you planning on reading this book? Have you read it already? What are your thoughts on it? I'd LOVE to know!

2 comentarios:

  1. OKAY. To be entirely honest, I wasn't interested in this book. I'd seen the hype, and just thought: nope. I'm not keen. I don't usually fall for the hyped up books, and I don't usually cry in the "sad" books, so this book was not for me.

    But this review. And the quotes you gave. I am cracking! I am now interested in reading this book, because I like the style, and I like the way you introduced everything. EEP. Thank you so much for reviewing this book, Alejandra, because you've seriously made me super keen.

    I really hope I end up loving it!

    I am off to Goodreads now to add it to my never ending and ever growing TBR *waves*

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Ahhhhhh! I'm SO NERVOUS NOW. There is so much pressure when you recommend a book to someone and you want them to enjoy the book as much as you did. I can't wait to hear/read your thoughts on it. I'm biting my nails now *eeeep*

      Also, thank you soooooo much for this, you don't know how much it means to me that someone in the world is reading me and considering what I have to say. /cheeeeese.

      Hahha, bye!

      Eliminar