domingo, 22 de marzo de 2015

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

(Reseña en Español)

Title: The Raven Boys

Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Published: September 18th, 2012 by Scholastic Press.

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive. Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble. But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

My Musings 

I've caved in and started this saga. Usually, I try to stay as far away as I can from series that aren't finished yet. But I've heard so much about these books I just couldn't help myself. So today I am talking about the book I read this week, The Raven Boys, by Maggie Stiefvater.

I must admit that before I started this book I didn't really know much. I knew there would be boys. Yes, that is how much I knew. But I saw a lot of posts, tweets, videos fangirling about this saga so I had expectations. And they were met. 

First of all I have to mention how many new words I learnt with this book, amazing! The way Maggie writes is just so sofisticated (for lack of a better word, EXCUSE MY ENGLISH) and detailed, which I always love because it makes me imagine what the characters are doing, what a place looks like. I also loved that it's not your typical story where boy meets girl and something happens. Because well yes, Blue sees the spirit of the boy who is her true love and/or she's going to kill him. 


But there is sooo much more than true love. There are friendships so strong that they don't even think of themselves as friends but as brothers. There is darkness manifesting itself in the form of greed. There is this need for independency. There's the kind of love that one can only get by being part of a family and there is mistery and I agree with my friend Lys "the mistery of the novel, is truly a mistery" because the more you think you're finding out, the more questions come up. 

I think I'm falling for Gansey, to be honest. But then again there's so much mistery and moodiness with Ronan I NEED TO READ THE NEXT BOOK SO I CAN HAVE MORE INFORMATION IN ORDER TO MAKE A DECISION. I love how much of a good person Gansey is, really. He is willing to do whatever it takes for either of his friends, and I feel like that is something you don't really see nowadays, fiction or not. Ronan is hard to read because one minute he is reckless and sassy and then the next he's saying he needs to feed his bird every two hours...........okay. Adam wants more out of life, and I LOVE that, I adore the fact that he won't settle but I think he needs to realize sometimes it's okay to get help from the ones who care about you. And Noah is going in my list of characters I'd like to hug and cry for, s'all I'm saying.

Blue, Blue, Blue. I love her. She is funny, isn't afraid to speak up and defend herself. One of the things I really enjoyed was the fact that she knew she'd be going against her mother's wishes but she still went after what she felt was right. The dream/hallucination she had that involved Gansey, UGH SO MUCH LOVE GUYS. 


So these are my scattered thoughts on this great book. I had to write this before I started the second book, so if you'll excuse me, *runs away to start book* But before I say bye, have you read this book? What are your thoughts on it? Are you in love with Gansey too?

2 comentarios:

  1. If this one has you falling for Gansey then you'll never want to let him go in the next two. Gansey is quite possibly my favourite male character in all of YA. He's characterisation is so perfectly flawed and I adore it! I hope you like the next two just as much love. Beautiful review!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Ahhhh, thank you so much Jess! And youu're right I loved him in BLLB soooo much. But also there was so much angst with him and Blue, my babies :(
      Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting :)

      Eliminar